The Abilities Ministries International (AMI) has built a longstanding relationship and friendship with the disabled community in Toronto, earning us their respect and trust to act as a bridge of inclusion between their community and the church. Most cities and towns outside of Toronto and around the world have agencies that provide support and services to people with disabilities that are the counterpart of those in Toronto, therefore AMI will support your church in connecting with the disabled community in your area in order to reach people with disabilities, their families, friends and staff with the gospel of Jesus Christ.
We are delighted to support the church in reaching one of the largest and most neglected mission’s fields in the world that represent one of the last visible minority groups within our society- people with disabilities. Abilities Outreach Ministries are not special needs ministries or separate groups for people with disabilities but simply outreach or invitation ministries of the local church to the disabled community that is utilizing our years of influence, connections and partnerships within the disabled community to connect people with disabilities to the Christian church.
5 Reasons for an Abilities Outreach
1. Every area of our life, society and church is touched by disabilities as every person will be affected by either visible or invisible disabilities in their life time
2. Jesus’ life, ministry and teachings demonstrates that inclusion is not a personal vision or calling for some people but rather a universal mandate, social focus and spiritual priority for the whole church and community.
3. God always uses the weak to lead and teach the so called strong.
4. The Bible commands us to invite and bring people with disabilities to all our social events and gatherings.
5. Inclusion is a human right and a Biblical mandate that demands we treat all people equally within the church and community.
5 Benefits of an Abilities Outreach
1. Your church will become equally inclusive towards all people by reaching out to the disabled community in your city through the Abilities Ministries
2. When your church sponsors an Abilities Outreach AMI will provide you with free and ongoing promotional support within the whole disabled community. Your Abilities Outreach will be completely self-sufficient and self-sustaining as it will operate as a fully integrated part with your whole church and receive ongoing logistical support from AMI
3. Your Abilities Outreach will strengthen the evangelism, discipleship and missions of your church as you follow the example and mandate of Christ in giving people with disabilities a priority within the church today. Your community and church will be inspired and transformed by honouring the least among us as the Greatest in God’s Kingdom
4. Churches with special needs ministries or other types of disability ministries will benefit from an Abilities Outreach as you will have a stronger point of contact with the disabled community in your area through AMI
5. Avoid the traditional and negative perception of segregation and discrimination against people with disabilities which subconsciously neglects, ignores or disregards them by becoming proactive as a church in protecting and promoting the rights and choices of people with disabilities under the law to equally participate within the community and church.
We offer 3 dynamic presentations:
1. Our introductory presentations are a 30 minute informal meeting with one our two senior leadership team members from your church
2. Our leadership presentations are 40 minutes and include the following:
a. 15 minute media presentation
b. 10 minute talk on the Biblical basis for an Abilities Ministries
c. 10 minute talk on the logistics of starting an Abilities Ministries
d. 5 minute question and answer period
3. Our congregation presentations are 40 minutes and include the following:
Option: Either local church worship team or Abilities Worship Team can lead worship before presentation. Scott Farraway is the Abilities Worship Leader.
a. 5 minute opening song by Kenny Rojas who is completely visually impaired. Kenny sings his
signature song, “I can only imagine”.
b. 5 minute media presentation
c. 10 teaching on the Reasons and Benefits for starting an Abilities Ministries
d. 10 minute teaching on the Biblical Basis of an Abilities Ministries
e. Closing song from worship band
To book an Abilities leadership or congregational presentation for your church please call us at: 416-439-4809 or e-mail us at: email@example.com. Please visit us online at: www.abilitiesministries.org for more information on our inspirational and groundbreaking ministry for the equal inclusion of people with disabilities within the church.
Testimonials & Endorsements
“Abilities Ministries has participated at Kingdom Bound for the past two years. They have done an outstanding job educating us on the importance of ministry to our friends and families with disabilities. The worship team treated us to an anointed time in the presence of the Lord. We highly recommend this ministry to everyone”.
"Jaime Castro and his leadership team from Abilities Church participated in a weekend conference we hosted here at Centre Street Church, No Limbs To No Limits, as feature speakers, along with Nick Vujicic, Justin Hines and other active leaders in the disabilities community. We are very grateful for their inspiring message of community inclusion, self-advocacy and equal opportunity and their faithful witness as a church".
Special Needs Ministry
Centre Street Church
“I FINALLY got a chance to look over your Introductory Package and am very impressed! You not only wrote the book on Disability Ministry—you have actually accomplished it. My husband Larry (who is the Associate Pastor at Bartimaeus Baptist Temple) and I invested our Summer Getting Out and experimenting with what you discuss in your Presentation Package. A Bridge is definitely what’s lacking. As the former Church Relation Coordinator for Joni & Friends/Dallas-Fort Worth I am well aware of the obstacles in establishing a successful Disability Ministry outreach. Now thanks to your Presentation I am encouraged anew that despite the challenges—YES it is not only possible to build a successful Disability Ministry Outreach—it is simply what He expects of us”.
In His Accessible Grace,
Mission Accessible, Inc
"PastorRick and we loved reading about the wonderful experience you had in building your church. We really appreciate the way you have positioned your church to include people with various disabilities in ministry positions. What better way could you find than having people concentrate on others instead of dwelling on their own problems. This is very healing and comforting... Our Saddleback Prayer Team will continue to pray that your church will keep on growing as you spread the Gospel of Jesus Christ. God is blessing you for the good work you are doing..."
In His name,
Jim and Joan Dernocoeur
Assistants to Pastor Rick Warren
"I admire your goal to maintain balance between disabled and non-disabled people – it means that yours is truly a church that’s all about inclusion, not one where disabled people are “misfits” who can’t attend a “regular” church".
Billy Graham Evangelistic Association of Canada
"I am excited about the start and vision for growth of this much needed church opportunity. The Abilities Church is responding to the call of God. It is a sacred space that embraces and makes room for ability rather than accommodating and making special exceptions for disability. Here, disability is not a barrier, it is a pathway into the presence of God. It is about ministering with and to the whole community of God. It's not about 'your disabled and I'm not', it is all about dwelling and communing together in the Imago Dei. All have a place to belong, participate, be ministered too, and to minister - it is living Luke 4:18-21".
Dr. Neil Cudney
Director of Pastoral Ministries
"This year I was introduced to a church in Toronto called the Abilities Church. They claim to be the first real inclusive church in the world. They are impressive. Their staff and vision are excellent, and have all levels of ability. They model inclusion and invitation to all people. The Abilities Church’s goal is to have 50% of their participants having a disability. Their services are lively and show a part of the spirit of Christ that many churches miss. If you are in Toronto on a Sunday you should attend this church..."
"Since 2010, I have the pleasure of working alongside members of The Abilities Church and their leadership team in their undertakings to worship God, facilitate social inclusion for persons with disabilities, and celebrate all levels of ability across Toronto communities. The Abilities Church leads by example in regard to its achievements and accomplishments that are realized when a group of committed people come together and - regardless of individual ability levels - are able to shine a light of hope for all to embrace as well as promote an inclusive and caring community of love and acceptance as a model of accessibility in which all members of our society can participate."
Dr. Anthony Hutchinson, CC, GA, BSc, BSW, MSW, PhD
Program Chair and Assistant Professor of Human Services, Tyndale University
Host of the Weekly Radio Listener Call-in Program "Where Your Health Matters with Dr. Tony"
Heard each Sunday evening from 8:30pm to 10pm on JOY 1250 AM radio