Easy step by step guidelines in starting
your Abilities Outreach for your church!
Introduction: Every church can do their part in becoming more accessible towards people with disabilities. The Abilities Ministries is here to help facilitate and strengthen that process by supporting churches in hosting Abilities Outreachesor Accessibility Sundays or both. Click here to learn more about hosting an annual Accessibility Sunday.
Abilities Outreaches function as a bridge that is connecting the church and disability community together for the purpose of promoting and protecting the rights and choices of people with disabilities to equally participate within the church. We exist to give people with disabilities the equal opportunity to participate within the worship and ministry of the church by supporting churches in becoming equally inclusive towards all people. Abilities Outreach Ministries are the first self-sufficient and self-sustained local church outreach or invitation ministries to the disabled community that operate as a fully integrated part with the regular worship services of mainstream churches.
Join us in following the example and mandate of Jesus in giving people with disabilities a priority within the church today. The church is one Body with many members of different abilities of which God favors the weaker members above the strong. Follow the easy steps below to get started in developing your Abilities Outreach Ministry for your church and community.
3 great ways to set up your Abilities Outreach through your church
1. As an integrated part of your existing Sunday services (Sunday mornings or evenings)
2. As a new or additional service of your church that includes your whole congregation
3. As an integrated part of an existing weekday service of your church
Primary Steps to getting started
1. Share vision and information with your pastor and church
2. Book Abilities presentation or introduction/interview session for your congregation (local) or arrange a phone
information session (global)
3. Approve your Abilities Outreach and start planning for your grand opening service
Development stages for starting your ministry
TAM will provide assistants in the research and promotion areas and fully facilitate this process for churches in the greater Toronto Area (GTA)
1. Appoint a contact person for your Outreach Outreach
2. Start meeting on a regular basis to pray, share and develop the vision
3. Connect with the disabled community in your area by researching all the agencies providing disability services.
4. Start planning your Grand Opening Service
a. Determine date, place and time for grand opening service
b. Develop data base of all government officials, media/press and disability organization in your area.
c. Develop flyers and media/press releases to advertise your grand opening service (Templates will be provided)
d. Distribute, post and circulate promotional material or flyers to promote your grand opening service
5. Contact us for step by step development support.
Requirements for starting an Abilities Outreach
1. Affirm the Biblical and historical essentials of the Christian Faith along with TAMI’s vision
and mission as stated above.
2. Book a presentation or introduction/interview session for your congregation before or during your launch service;
along with a training session for your ushers and/or greeters
3. Submit Partnership Contract (one provided or customize one) and review Training Manual
4. Host a grand opening service or launch service for your Abilities Outreach
5. Your ministry will serve as an outreach or invitation ministry of your church to the disabled community for the
purpose of fully integrating people with disabilities within your congregation.
6. A separate ministry team is not required as your Abilities Outreach will serve as a fully integrated part of
your church and your current leadership team should equally serve the needs of people with disabilities as they do
with anyone else.
7. Fully integrate people with disabilities into the regular worship services and programs of your church and avoid
segregating them into isolated groups by giving them choices and options in participating within the whole church
8. Display outside or street signs promoting your ministry in order to maintain a visible presence within
the community. Please us the name “Abilities Outreach” on signs.
9. Equally promote your Abilities Outreach along with all your other ministries at your church
through your church’s web site, bulletins, announcements or other promotional material.
10. Individuals requiring physical or emotional support must be accompanied by an escort or support
worker when attending any worship service or program at your church.
Benefits of an Abilities Outreach
1. Strengthen the discipleship, evangelism and missions for your church by inspiring and motivating your community
and church through your Abilities Outreach Ministry as you follow the example and mandate of Christ in giving people
with disabilities an equal place within your church.
2. Motivate your church members to become more active participates in the ministries of your church through your
Abilities Outreach Ministry
3. Create mass awareness within your community towards a Christian faith that is equally inclusive and respectful
towards people with disabilities
4. Help break down social and spiritual walls of discrimination and built bridges of Christian inclusion, equality, diversity
and unity within the community and church
5. Your Ministry will be self-sufficient and self-sustained as it will operate as a fully integrate part with your regular
worship services of your church
6. It will strengthen and compliment a special needs ministry or any other kind of ministry for people with disabilities that
your church may already have as your Abilities Outreach will actively reach out to the whole disabled community and
give people with disabilities more options and choices to equally worship and minister within the church.
7. Free web page for your Abilities Outreach Ministry with ongoing logistical and promotional support
Partnership between TAM and your local church
1. Your Abilities Outreach will operate as an official ministry of your church
2. Your outreach will simply share an external partnership with The Abilities Ministries (TAM) .
3. Your outreach will receive ongoing logistical and promotional support through our network
Please Note: The Abilities Ministries(TAM) only provides free logistical and promotional support and does not provide financial support/donations or operational support. Each location or campus of the Abilities Outreach is responsible for developing its own funding and financial support if required.
General guidelines between all partnering churches and TAM
1. The relationship between each partnering church and TAM is that of an external partnership
2. Each location is financially, legally and ethically responsible for its own operation
3. Abilities Outreach Toronto is the main Abilities Outreach Campus or Partner
Abilities Outreaches benefit the whole community and church
1. Promotes and protects the rights and choices of people with disabilities to equally participate within the church.
2. Fulfills the Biblical mandate of Christ in Luke 14 to invite, bring and compel people with disabilities to participate at
God's banquet and Kingdom.
3. Honors the least among us in this world as the greatest in God's Kingdom and honors the weaker members of
Christ Body above the strong.
4. Strengthens the evangelism, missions and discipleship of the church by equally reaching out to all people.
5. Supports the church in building a relationship with the disablility community and vise versa in order to build mutual
understanding and identification with each other. Abilities Outreaches strengthen the outreach of your church to the
disabled community; and compliments and strengthens special needs ministries or other type of disability ministries.
Abilities Outreaches are:
Intentional in their outreach
Mutual in their participation
Proactive in their integration
1. What is an Abilities Outreach?
An Abilities Outreach is not a separate group or special needs ministry but an Invitation and integration Ministry of the church to the disablity community that operates as a fully integrated part with the regular worship services of mainstream churches. The goal is to give people with disabilities the equal opportunity to participate in the worship and ministry of the church.
2. Why you should start an
Abilities Outreach for your
church and community?
First, Its a Scriptural Mandate
Jesus focused on people with disabilities- His com-passion towards them inspires us to follow His example
Jesus favored people with disabilities- He confirms the least among us as the greatest in His Kingdom and favors the weak members of His Body- the Church over the strong
Jesus freed people with disabilities- He commands us to invite and bring them to all our social gatherings
Second, Its a Successful Mandate
-The success of the church is based upon its purpose (Evangelism, Missions and Discipleship) which people with disabilities authenticate through their works
-The success of the church is based upon its persecution which people with disabilities authenticate through their wounds
-The success of the church is based on its power which people with disabilities authenticate through their weakness
Third, Its a Social Mandate
Rights- The human rights of people with disabilities
Regulations- International equality laws against the discrimination of people with disabilities
Responsibility- Moral responsibility to support, care, respect and empower people with disabilities
3. Starting an Abilities Outreach is as easy as ABC
A- Affirm if your church is a place where all people are welcomed
B- Book your Abilities presentation
C- Confirm your Abilities Outreach Ministry and start intentionally and actively inviting and including people with disabilities within your church.
3 Ways God uses people with disabilities to authenticate and affirm His Kingdom and Church
1. They possess the greatness to inspire people to believe in Christ. Matthew 11
2. They possess the gifts that are necessary to built and strengthen the church. 1 Cor 12
3. They possess God's presence and power that is necessary to live a victorious life. 2 Corinthians 12:8-10
How to operate an Abilities Outreach?
1. Invite- Luke 14:12-14 Officially invite the disabled community to your church through the Abilities Ministries
2. Integrate- 1 Cor 12:18-25 Openly integrate with people with disabilities as one Body in Christ that honours the weaker members above the strong
3. Identify- 1 Cor 9:22 Outwardly identify with people with disabilities by connecting with them inwardly
A Priority Outreach
"People with disabilities should be given a priority within the church today because they were at the centre and heart of Jesus' earthly ministry. They teach us that God's power and presence is fully revealed through our weaknesses, sickness, challenges and disabilities"
"God used people with disabilities to authenticate Jesus' earthly ministry and to strengthen the evangelism, missions and discipleship of the early church"
"Every human being will be affected by either visible or invisible disabilities within their life time. Disabilities affects every area of our life, society and church"